Monday, June 9

My how we haven't changed...

This weekend was Tim's 10 year reunion down in Boise--so under much duress (I spent way too much time on airplanes in April :p), we flew down to partake in the experience. Since I had never actually met most of these people before now, I can't really say how much they have or haven't changed, but since my reunion is next year I was very interested to see how things would go. My impressions were thus, keeping in mind that the opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of Meyer & Co. and its producers:

First impression: flashback to high school prom. We walked into the Elks Lodge (yes, they do still exist) and into the "dance hall" and it was dejavu--an overly loud DJ, corny disco lights, and...nobody was dancing. ;o) Everyone crowded against the walls, talking in their own little groups and looking around nervously as if to say "haven't we outgrown this yet?" And though I didn't know anyone at this highschool, all of the "characters" were there. The jocks, dressed as if for a business meeting and shaking hands like it was going out of style. The cheerleaders, with a honky-tonk husband and a pick-up truck out back full of beer, well on their way to breaking out the old uniforms and giving us an impromptu pep rally (we left before we could experience it). The girl with something to prove--maybe she wasn't the most popular or pretty in high school, but now she's got a hot bod and she's there to make sure you notice and regret that you never asked her to prom (short black dress, red stilettos, dancing with anyone who could shake it to that "tootsie roll" song).

All in all, it was an awesome people watching experience, which is one of my favorite hobbies...but since they didn't serve any food to speak of, we only made it a few hours before The Monster required sustenance. Probably just as well, a few hours was enough. ;o) I will say that we also met some very nice couples, and even a few other pregnant ladies (also due in August), so ample People on Parade weren't the only reward. And, I have to give Kudos to Tim for having the courage to introduce his very pregnant wife to his ex-high school sweetheart (see aforementioned cheerleader description)...I'm happy to report that while she may not have emerged completely unscathed, there were only minor bumps and bruises. :p

Long story short, if you were debating about whether or not to go to your own reunion, here's my advice: go, and bring a camera, your yearbook, and leave the letterman jacket (and pick-up truck full of beer) at home.

4 comments:

mandy said...

P.S. - For those of you reading this blog who WERE cheerleaders, please don't take offense. Those of us who weren't know that not all cheerleaders are created equal and love you dearly...but you have to admit, the stereotype came from somewhere. ;o)

Jen said...

we're on for next year, aren't we?

Anonymous said...

Mandy I would have loved to be there to experiance this with you since I had a lot of friends in Tim's class.....Andy you'll have to fill me in on some people....love you both
Shannon
Oh and I need someone to help me figure out how to do this whole blogging thing so I can get an account up and going...

mandy said...

Jen - absolutely, I wouldn't miss our reunion (especially after this experience). Need to dig up the details on it though, I think Anne mentioned planning is already in the works.

Shannon - I'm sure you would have gotten more out of talking to everyone than I did! To be honest, I met so many new faces I don't remember all the names and details, but give your brother a call when you have a minute and I'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in. We can also go over how to setup a blog. :o)