Thursday, October 9

CSTMPLTs

One of my favorite hobbies while driving is to keep an eye out for custom license plates and try and figure out what the heck they are supposed to say. In some cases, this is easy--others leave me pondering it all day until I finally come up with "One Hot Mamma!" or whatever the crack smoker was trying to communicate at the time. Some of them I never figure out, and these haunt me. ;o)

Coeur d'Alene is an excellent place to live if you have a license plate fetish--with the abundance of hot rods and car shows in this area, there are a ton of custom plates that go along with the territory. However, I'm sure Anne can also attest to the fact that Montana has their fair share--I nearly go cross-eyed trying to read them all every time we drive through Bozeman.

It occurred to me that it would be fun to share the plates I find (especially those I can't figure out, in case someone else can) and have other people share the ones that may be stumping their craniums. So, I am putting a link to this post over in the toolbar on the right (see "Custom Plates"). Consider this a living post that you can Comment on anytime you see a plate worth mentioning, and I will as well. I'll move the comments up into the post as people add them, so we can keep a running list. If you leave a comment and then choose "Email follow-up comments to me" you'll automatically be updated every time someone adds a new plate.

Who knows...this may grow into a blog of its own. ;o) If there's a story that goes along with the plate...you know, road rage, a maniacal driver, someone talking on a cell phone and putting on makeup and chewing gum at the same time, feel free to include it!

Here are a few to get us started:
****************************

"WAHA"
This is an easy one for anyone from the Lewiston area, but I imagine it confuses the heck out of people that aren't...this is actually my parents' plate and is named for the mountain glen in which they live--Waha. We have had people ask if it's related to John Wayne...apparently he was in the habit of saying things like "Waha, Pilgrim" or something like that. :P

"EGLNST1"
This is one of my favorites running around CdA...it took me a little while, but I finally got it, I think. Going by the German flag sticker on their car, I'm thinking this is their last name and it says "Eglenstein", using the German word for "one" ("ein").

"TNUH"
This one I just saw yesterday. I probably wouldn't have figured it out, except it was on one of the classic 'Idaho Special' trucks...that is, a truck painted entirely in brush camo, used for...you guessed it...hunting. This one is "HUNT" spelled backwards.

"CANESFAN"
Assuming this isn't "cocaine," I'm guessing this person is a fan of the Miami Hurricanes.

20-Oct-08

"MRRD4LIF"
Not entirely sure on this one--Mr. Reed for life? Maybe this person recently had a successful sex change operation and is now celebrating.

"WEROPE2"
And so do we...

"PLA THNG"
This was on about the most boring run-of-the-mill car I've ever seen...not my idea of a good time.

"3CNTNGO"
Three can tango? Not sure I want to know...maybe I'm missing something here, anyone have any better suggestions?

"4 LANES"
Not in Idaho. :P

"MJSWIFE"
Perhaps she has a crush on Michael Jordan.

"NEATNIK"
Is that like a neat version of a beatnik?

"PIXEDST"
This one took me a minute...think Tinkerbell. (Pixie dust)

"ODEAR"
Because all the other good plates were taken?

15-Nov-2008
Another installment

"DRY FLY 1"
Obviously a fisherman...but it kind of made me wonder if there's a DRY FLY 2. :P

"1S N 0S"
Nicole found this one...and it took us a minute. It was actually in our parking lot at work...we work at a software company, which a bunch of computer geeks. Still haven't got it? Well, there are 10 kinds of people in this world...those who know binary, and those who don't. ;o)

"HY 5"
Dude.

"BSTNFAN"
So tempting to stick a note on their windshield that says "Go Yankees!"

"2THFERY"
This one reminds me of that South Park episode, with the "tooth fairy" mafia. Would have been better if it was on a PT Cruiser. ;o)

"5 AEIOU"
Apparently "Y" just doesn't rank high enough for them.

"HIHOSLV"
Found on, you guessed it, a silver Ford Mustang. Hi Ho, Silver, away!

"AMUCK"
On a jacked up Jeep. Yeah...at least they admit it.

"1 SHT"
This one took us a minute. ;o) Once again, the context makes the difference--this was on a pickup with the Idaho Elk hunting license plate. One shot is all it takes (that's what she said).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me, last Saturday was opening day of duck season and on my way out of town at 5am there was only one other vehical on the road with me, a truck with "DUK HUNT" on the plate. Talk about an easy one!

colby said...

Today we saw "BUY A HOM"... :P

Lacey said...

Thats funny I do the same thing when I drive places. Lots of interesting ones around here. I saw this one a while back:
N24NSICS

colby said...

Today must be the day for license plates... before I even got on to the freeway to go to lunch, I saw:

GOTVOIP - do you really love VoIP that much? (In the Jigsaw parking lot... maybe they used to sell VoIP? :P)

PINAPL - okay, so pineapple, but... WHY?

PLNTLDY - well, at least this one is clear. I know we call our plant lady "plant lady" ;o)

Then on the freeway, I saw:

JUS ME - for "Jus Me Automotive"... because "Jus Me N My Secretary" wouldn't be catchy.

There were more after that, but I missed them - didn't have a passenger to help ;o)

mandy said...

For those of you subscribing to follow-up comments, I added new plates today (most from our trip to Montana...I'll leave you to guess which ones).

colby said...

"MRRD4LIF" - married for life? Did they also have Jesus fish, Calvin praying at a cross, and Bush/Cheney bumper stickers? :P

mandy said...

The monthly custom plate installment has been published! How we do love hunting season...

colby said...

Yesterday or the day before we also saw something like "DUOUOUO" (or was it "DOUOUOU"?)... it was so WTF we wiped it from our memories.

Maybe "1 SHT" should have sprung for the O... I'm not sure I'd risk the possibility someone could mix my hunting prowess up with my ability to excise my bowels. :P