Thursday, February 19

25 More things...

Due to the awesomeness of the other bloggers I know (who are nice enough not to tag people), I have not actually been "assigned" to do this. But, ironically enough, when I read the others I immediately started wondering about which 25 random things I would post. Finally, I gave up and decided to just post it anyway. Enjoy. ;o)


1. I grew up in the sticks (literally), in a small 100-family community called Waha, where my parents still live. Since this area was way too small to have a school, I went to school in Lewiston, which is the lowest point in the state of Idaho and formerly the state's capitol.

2. I'm an avid golfer (a game I affectionately call "whack-dammit" since it usually involves whacking a ball and then saying some "fore" letter word) and was on the varsity team in high school. We won State my senior year, at the time the first girl's team at my high school to do so since the basketball team in the 70s.

3. I collect teapots. My mom started my collection as a child, and it has grown to over 22 teapots and their associated accompaniments since then, which threaten to take over my kitchen.

4. I've been married to Tim for eight years this July, after we met on a blind date in college. We take a major trip every 5 years to celebrate our anniversary. Year 0 was Germany (our honeymoon), year 5 was Italy. Year 10 is still up for debate (the location, not the milestone).

5. I'm a total klutz and always have been. One of the phrases I've heard the most in my life is "your middle name's not Grace." So much so that we nearly named Anna Olivia "Anna Grace" instead so no one could ever say the same for her. ;o)

6. I'm currently training for a "sprint" triathlon in July.

7. I have a husband and a wife. My "wife" become my wife as a result of our many business travels together, where we found we got better dining service (in San Francisco especially) if we introduced ourselves in this manner. Frankly, I don't know how anyone gets through life without one of each.

8. I'm an only child.

9. Along with Jen and Amy, I spent many years in the 4-H clogging club and still find myself instinctively tapping my feet when a song we danced to comes on the radio.

10. I never thought I'd be married almost 8 years at age 27. I never thought I'd like being a mother. I was so very wrong on both counts and have never been happier to be both.

11. I love languages, and I speak some Italian, Spanish, and German (and even a little sign language), though I only speak English fluently, and only sometimes.

12. I hate the bump on my nose, which is a result of my slow reflexes (see #5) on the basketball team in junior high.

13. I'm a total foodie, and there's not much I don't like. I absolutely love foie gras, but hate escargot.

14. My latest guilty pleasure is reading the Go Fug Yourself blog. Though I'm not a fashionista by any stretch of the imagination (since having Anna, Nicole calls me the "track suit queen" since I'm too lazy to wear anything else at home), I love the clever writing and well sharpened wit.

15. I curse like a sailor. No, my mother didn't raise me this way, and is generally horrified when I forget this fact around her. This is very near the top of my list of things to work on before Anna starts talking.

16. I love to read. Mostly I read mystery/sci-fi/fantasy...things like the Odd Thomas books, Twilight, The Cat Who series. I have never read a book written by Danielle Steele. My favorite book is Coming Home, by Rosamunde Pilcher.

17. My toes are double jointed.

18. This year was the first time I'd ever voted in any election.

19. I have traveled the entire length of the Alaskan Highway (aka ALCAN) during a month-long summer road trip to Alaska with my parents. While there, I visited the North Pole (North Pole, Alaska), caught a 35 lb halibut, and nearly got caught in the "quick sand" of the incoming tide while razor clamming.

20. Besides Alaska, I have visited pretty much all of the west coast states, most of the nor'easter states, D.C., B.C., many of Canada's provinces, Germany, Italy, Austria, Denmark.

21. I have a 34" inseam...which leads me to my next random thing of: I *hate* shopping for pants. They are always 2" too short.

22. I play the fiddle, or try to. More than that, I love to sing.

23. I have been known in the past to express my extreme and vehement dislike for the color pink. Nothing personal if you do like it, I was simply overdosed on it as a child (if you grew up in a pepto bismol pink bedroom, you'd hate it, too). For all that, I'm finding little pink things starting to sneak back into my wardrobe since the arrival of Anna. Perhaps this is Pink Rehab and someday I will recover.

24. I hate having water on my face. I'm finding this is an obstacle I must overcome in order to be effective at #6. :P

25. I'm addicted to blog comments. Tim and I absolutely love reading them, which is really the main reason I keep posting. If you're out there and haven't commented in a while, we'd love to hear from you!

8 comments:

colby said...

I never fished for halibut in Alaska, but a friend of mine moved to Alaska when we were 14 so when I visited the next summer we fished for salmon and did lots of crabbing (mmmmmmmmm, crab). I also think getting stuck in the mud is required if you go anywhere near an area a clam would appreciate. (Maybe I'm hungry? :P)

Lacey said...

Funny about the pink thing. I hated it too, until I had a baby girl. Now I have two and I am surrounded by pink things - most of which I had a hand in picking out. Go figure.

Jen said...

also hate water in my face. So, I regularly splash Sam in the tub...he, fortunately, loves it.

Anne said...

First off, I have to point out that your blog color is a little humorous these days since you hate pink! ;) Second, I didn't know that you didn't vote until this year. Third, you told me that the shape of your nose came from your mom's heritage and I BELIEVED you for YEARS!!! And fourth, I miss you terribly and will try and remember to stay away from the escargot when cooking for you and Tim (sorry it was so self-serve post Gwennie!) :)

The Farmer's Wife said...

Now that I know you are addicted to blog comments, I'll do it! I'm pretty much addicted to blogging altogether, so there you are...

These lists crack me up! Now and forever, when I read your blog, I'll think of your double-jointed toes. That may be one of the coolest things I've found out about someone.

And I'm allergic to pink, too. And most shades of lavender. My daughter, who is now four, has the decency to pair those colors with black and leopard prints, which makes them only slightly more tolerable.

AND I guess I'm a lurker from Anne's blog, only I'd rather go by Blog Tourist, thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you love blog comments, I was afraid you might not appreciate me commenting anymore! I have to tell you- I went to get my mom's taxes done (how stupid you have to file taxes even when you're dead...) anyways, guess who was there to do them for me!? Jason l. ugh. I could have turned and walked out but by that point he had already spotted me... so I sat down and got on with the dumb taxes... AFTER I explained to him how to do it AND that I'd need to file a 1310 form, he gave me a sum that I had already come up with on my own. I just thought that maybe I was missing something as I've never filed taxes for a deceased person before... Anyhow, he told me "I cut you a deal. It was 307 (!!dollars!!) but he brought it down to $215. Last I checked, H&R block is cheaper! So... I picked up my papers and walked out. told him to not bother filing for me, i'll do it myself. ha! then i found out more about the situation from sharla and was further pleased with myself. :o)

I hope you're doing well, and I love reading your blog!

Danielle

mandy said...

Haha...thanks for posting that story, Danielle--what are the odds? I always love to see your comments on the blog, hope you're doing well!

mandy said...

To the Farmer's Wife: I'm so glad you enjoy the blog! I admit that I have "lurked" on yours as well ("blog tourist" is great! though it makes me feel like I should be packing a camera and sunblock ;o). Thanks for leaving a comment!