Tuesday, June 10

Cutie Pies and Honey

While we were down in Boise for Tim's reunion (see previous post), we also got to have some quality "mommy and daddy to be" time, just the two of us. We opted to skip out of the family picnic part of the reunion on Saturday and instead went to the Capitol City Market in Boise (basically the Boise farmer's market). We're huge fans of local markets and this one didn't disappoint--3 blocks of downtown completely dedicated to local artists and vendors. We got to stop by the Williamson's booth, where they were sampling wine, found some amazing food (fresh strawberries, hot crepes, hot homemade donuts, yum), beautiful fresh peonies, and most tortuous of all, a fresh honey stand that was selling not only honey, but honeycomb. I have to admit that I haven't exactly abided by the 'no honey for pregnant ladies' rule, though I have tried to behave...but honeycomb is one of my major weaknesses. It brings to mind summer days as a kid spent with Anne, melting the fresh beeswax we'd get from obliging neighbors into "beautiful" candle creations we were sure would be the next big thing. That smell and that taste are like being transported back in time...yet, for the sake of my little one growing up healthy enough to make her own little wax atrocities, I resisted (and whined).

Even sweeter than the honey was our little niece, Lily. We got to stop by several times and visit her and Scott and Beka over the weekend--what a character! We don't see her anywhere near often enough (last time was at Christmas) and she changes so much every time. She's a little over a year old and starting to talk and use sign language (can't wait to take the baby signing class now!). She's already got attitude, albeit a very happy one, so Mom and Dad better watch out! ;) She was also fascinated by my painted toe nails, so now her "mean" aunt is on a quest to find her some pretty and baby-safe polishes. She's already got quite a few teeth as well, and her lastest trick is the ability to eat a whole banana...a sight not to be missed. Unfortunately, we were stupid and forgot the camera, so I hope Beka won't mind that I stole this picture from her site, but it was too cute. Can't wait until the next time we get to see her (and introduce her to her new cousin)!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind at all about the picture of Lily, she is fun to show off! I'm so glad that you (and Shannon) set up a blog, that way everyone is kept up-to-date. Take care!

~Beka

Shannon said...

Mandy don't worry I didn't follow the no honey or peanutbutter role...I craved peanutbutter and jellie sandwiches during the 3rd tri mester and Hannah is fine....I'm so glad that you got to have a great with scott Beka and Lily...I can't wait to see you all in August and September...love ya

Anonymous said...

Hey you! I actually think I still have some of our candle creations from years ago - its amazing both our moms were cool with those fantasticly messy (but fun) projects. The post also reminds me of when we'd buy honeycomb at the Moscow Farmer's Market and I believe once at either the one in Cd'A or Sandpoint. You've just made me insanely hungry for a light crepe with a bit of honey and lemon!

mandy said...

Thanks for sharing your Cutie Pie, Beka!

Shannon, we can't wait to see you and Hannah, too! Only a few more months and think of how much will change. :o)

Anne Lark, I think I still have some of them, too...our "hand dipped" candles were my favorite. ;)

Jen said...

You're not supposed to eat honey? Oh, well. Sam turned out okay (so far...).