Saturday, January 24

What's the Opposite of the Tooth Fairy?

So we're sitting at home the other night, I'm lost in a book, and Tim is on the couch playing with Anna. Suddenly I hear "Ow!...uh, Mandy?" Reluctantly, I drag myself out of the fourth Twilight book and look up at my non-vampire husband... "Yeah?"

Tim: "I think Anna has a tooth."

Mandy: "No."

Tim: "Well...she just bit me and it hurt."

(It's a sign that I've been reading too much Twilight when my first thought was "Hmmm. Vampire.")

Mandy: "Bring her here and let me feel."

So I reach my fingers into her mouth and feel around....and look up at Tim. "That's not a tooth." "Oh. What is it then?" "That would be 'teeth'...as in two of them!" (Her bottom, middle teeth)

Now, despite how proud I am that she finally has some teeth, there is a part of me (two parts, specifically, related to the fact that we are breastfeeding) that has really been dreading this day. Thankfully, it does at least explain why she was so grumpy earlier this week, but did she really have to get two at once? The lovable little traitor. I'm considering hunting down whatever Mythical Fairy Tale Creature is designated to *bring* teeth instead of take them away and locking them up in a Mythical Cave for a few more Mythical Months.

In the meantime, I guess we'll just keep an eye out and make sure the two she has aren't venomous (and pray that they don't have the ability to cut through steel, either).

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Congrads on the teeth Anna. Hannah had her two lower ones at 5 months I think. It was either 5 or 6 months. Now we're on the 2 year old molers at 14 months. Its crazy when they start getting teeth. Good luck with breastfeeding.

colby said...

I'm not sure if I should say "finally!" since she's been Miss Crabbypants working on those teeth for a while, or "already?" since was JUST born the other day.... right?? :P Maybe we should look into an eternal vampire soul mate for her after all.

Jen said...

You are funny, fellow Twilighter! Sam got his third tooth this week. The first 2 weren't bad, but now I"m a little nervous about having a top and bottom tooth now that can clench down. My trick for biting (stolen from Dori Kaufman who has nursed many a biting boy): pinch his nose and he comes right off. I've only had to do it 2-3 times and he stopped biting. It worked better than cheek-flicking.