Monday, March 30

Interview Question #2 & #3

Q2: If we asked your husband (or your wife), what would he tell us your biggest vice is?

A: Like The Farmer's Wife, I've been procrastinating on answering this one...but the Mr. Monk in me is too strong to answer out of order, so here we go. I'm pretty certain that both of them would say the same thing--that I'm too much of a perfectionist. If you're not one, this may not sound like a vice to you at first, but believe me, for the poor people that have to live with you it certainly is. Wanting to get everything juuuussst right all the time is, of course, impossible...but that doesn't stop me from trying (and making Tim and/or Nicole try with me). Nicole probably doesn't get quite as much of it as Tim, as I've somewhat learned to roll with the punches at work, but I really haven't been able to relax my standards much in my personal pursuits. I'll admit that having a baby has forced me to chill out a bit, but I still have a little too much of a Goldilocks complex. (I once saw a shirt that read "I want to be Martha Stewart, that bitch can do anything"...I felt sorry for Martha. I myself own a shirt that just says "Prefectionist", which pretty much says it all.)

Wanting everything just right also usually leads to, shall we say..."selective" tastes (that sounds so much better than "picky"). I tend to, without meaning to, have a taste for the best of everything...which is another nice way of saying that I'm high maintenance and not a cheap date. ;o) I'm a firm believer in the "buy the best once" principle, and usually would rather go without than lower my standards. A fact that Tim should have considered before promising me a 25 year annivesary ring of my choosing...at the rate I'm going (i.e. platinum, multiple carats, etc) it's going to take us 25 years to save up for it. :P I'm still gunning for knocking a few years off that requirement for good behavior, but I'm not making much progress.

In my defense, he knew what he was getting into when he married me (as did my wife, who is a kindred spirit in this regard).


Q3: What about your best quality?

A: I felt the need to include this one in the same post, as a rebuttal to the prosecution. I think Tim would probably say that my sense of fun is my best quality. I do my best to never be boring, to always come up with new things to try, and to find the funny and/or absurd side to any situation. And though I do my fair share of giving my loved ones a hard time (I can't help it, it is a genetic tendency, inherited from a long line of teasers) I am ultimately a very loyal wife and friend. I don't have a lot of "close" friends for this reason--I tend to devote most of my time and effort to those closest to me, and while I do enjoy more casual friendships, they are allotted much less time in my "schedule" (read that in a british accent, "shed-dule"). I prefer a small, close group of a friends to a large circle of acquaintances, and I cherish them.

Having said all of that, I am curious to see what discussions this will bring with my husband and wife. ;o) I exercised an amazing amount of self control and didn't discuss this with either of them ahead of time, so I'm curious to see if they agree with me or have instead thought of one of my other myriad vices, which I have conveniently overlooked. ;o)

4 comments:

colby said...

Taking pride in doing something well isn't exactly a vice... until you have 8 million things to do. :P The down side of that personality (trust me) is that at a certain point you want to just shut off and make everyone else to do everything for themselves (and to a certain degree for you, to repay you for all that slack you picked up :P).

There are a lot of 'best' qualities. I really appreciate that you're a good judge of character. I appreciate that sometimes you give me that look that says "what the hell did you just say?" when I am not making sense. I appreciate that for all the time you spend making things just so, you still put up with me complaining and even have the patience to toss in some constructive thoughts (and not just that "WTF" look I mentioned). I appreciate your sense of humor, I'm not sure either of us would survive without it.

Most of all, I appreciate that for all of my faults, you are still my wife, and that you continue calling yourself that as long as it continues to irritate and puzzle everyone that hears it. :p

colby said...

PS: I think maybe the best 'guilty pleasure' vice that exists at this moment is gofugyourself.com ;)

(For me it'd probably be Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares? haha ;))

Tim said...

Mandy's sense of fun was one of the first of many things about her that drew me to her. There has never been a dull moment in our relationship and I attribute a lot of this to Mandy. Just when you think you have got her figured out, she pulls something new on you. No one could ask for a better person to spend the rest of their life with.

As for her perfectionism, it is one of the driving forces in her life and keeps her moving forward with whatever she is doing. I can appriciate this even though it drives me crazy at times.

One other quality that Mandy has not mentioned is her self awarness. She knows her self very well and this is a truly wonderfull thing to know. The self confidence it brings to her is something I really admire.

I will always love you for who you are and look forward to the rest of our life together.

mandy said...

Aw, shucks...I think you guys are pretty swell, too. Here I was all prepared for "but this is what REALLY annoys me about you". ;o)