Monday, March 23

120 oz down, 120 to go...

Sorry for any of you reading this post for whom "breast" is a naughty word, but I have to do a small, virtual celebration dance. You see, spring is "trade show season" at work, and part of my job is to lug myself to these events and stand on a concrete trade show floor and answer questions about our product for 8+ hours a day for four or five days. I'm sure you're jealous.

These shows are usually enough of a challenge on their own (though rewarding in their own way), but this year I've been especially worried about it for a couple of reasons:

1) The shows are in San Francisco and Las Vegas...which means that I will be away from my baby for 4-5 days at a time. I'm not sure what I'm going to do without my daily fix of kissing those chubby little cheeks.

2) We're breastfeeding. At this age, a baby eats approximately 30 oz of breastmilk a day (plus her other "big girl" food) and while I recognize that we could introduce some formula, I'm stubborn. I'd really like to keep her purely on breastmilk (why? because it's there, it's free, and dang it, I just want to try) which means A LOT of pumping on my part.

3) I don't want to "waste" the milk I pump while I'm gone, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it back on the plane with me. Any thoughts or suggestions here from you other nursing mothers who travel are much appreciated! I have been doing research and found a useful blog post on the subject of travelling with breastfed infants, as well as the fact that they've changed the regulations now for breastfeeding mothers travelling without infants.

I started pumping back in December in preparation for all of this, every day (plus the days I go to my work office and pump all day...not whining here too much, but it is not my favorite pastime). I feel like a field tester for Medela, the manufacturer of my breast pump..."Yep guys, still works! Now let's see how it performs in adverse weather conditions...such as a baby spit-up monsoon."

Long story short, as of today, I officially have an extra 120 ounces of milk for that first trip in the deep freeze (yay)! That's a lot of milk...about a gallon. Which feels like an accomplishment when I only get 3-4 "extra" ounces a day. ;o) Now only 120 more ounces for the second trip to go.

5 comments:

colby said...

HOORAY! Finally! It feels like forever, and we still have a month before the show.

If you come after me during the show and start talking about my chubby cheeks I'm going to run.

Amy said...

Congratulations, lactater (is that even a word?)!

I'm planning a one day trip away from the girls in June and am trying to stockpile 96 oz. You are an inspiration! :)

Jen said...

I rented a little freezer on our Maui trip and froze all the breast milk in that throughout the week. Then, I packed a little cooler with frozen breast milk and some ice and it stayed frozen until we landed the next morning! Security didn't give me any problems. I just kept saying over and over again, "Um, I have breastmilk in my cooler. Do I need special screening?" It helped that I had my pump, although one female screener had to reassure a male screener that it was just a breastpump.

Lacey said...

All hail the "Pump Master"! I salute you and your stubborn tenacity.

The Farmer's Wife said...

I am laughing so hard! I remember the angst, for even just an overnight trip. My husband just rolled his eyes, when I would emerge triumphant with 8 ounces in the pump bottles! (Let's see HIM duplicate that little feat...it ain't easy being Mama.)