For those of you recovering from the "disease" of pregnancy (this is a running joke in our family, ever since my GP told me that "pregnancy is not a disease" after getting back a positive pregnancy test...I was very prone to point out the inaccuracies of this statement during the actual event), you may want to check out this great Yoga DVD for new moms. It also has a half hour on infant massage techniques at the end that Anna loves! I have several of these DVDs and have been pleased with all of them--even if you're not normally into Yoga, these exercises are great for any level and perfect for relaxation. I have been doing them in the evenings before bed and it's like getting a nightly massage to stretch out all those back, shoulder, and hip muscles. (For those of you who are currently pregnant, they also have a pre-natal yoga dvd as well).
Anything to get back into shape...I have to admit, I had no idea it would take this long just to feel semi-normal again and finding time to exercise is a challenge, to say the least. To all you experienced moms out there, if you have any tips to share for getting that baby weight off, I'm all ears!
Also, many thanks to my wife for getting me hooked on the Wii Fit...it's a great way to get exercise and not even know it. ;o)
25 School Lunch Ideas Kids Won’t Get Tired Of
2 months ago


5 comments:
For anyone reading, I do really like their "Yoga for Weight Loss" - even if you aren't trying to lose weight, it's a great all-around workout. There are different "levels" of the workout - from beginner (or less flexible/strong) to pretzel - so you can follow along with whichever level you're comfortable with.
Mandy's after-baby yoga is also really good for anyone with tight hips or recovering from hip injuries (we've figured this out by comparing my physical therapy to the yoga DVD :P).
There is also an Abs/Lower Body/Upper Body yoga workout DVD that manages to kick my butt every time. Even though it's marked "beginner", you won't want them to be your first DVDs - they move quickly, don't describe things well, and some of the poses are more advanced or have sequences that require a fair amount of strength. It helps to have done other yoga to know how to modify the poses to your needs.
Their "Yoga for Athletes" is a good DVD for anyone focusing on a single or few sports - something to do the day before or after you golf, swim, bike, run, or play tennis (might be others in there, too) to loosen and strengthen the muscles you use in that sport. You choose whether you want to focus on one activity in a mini-workout, do the general practice, and focus on flexibility or strength.
I do also have Pilates for Weight Loss (I like the Yoga version better) and Cardio Pilates (good for Pilates, but the cardio is boring - probably better for someone cooped up all day, though, standard aerobics fare).
Oh, another one I have is Yoga Burn, which you can buy with a set of weighted yoga gloves. I use the gloves when I want to increase the intensity of regular Yoga workouts, too. It's basically more of a "flowing" workout, emphasizing taking it slowly to increase strength.
I'd like to try their power/strength-building DVDs, and maybe the kickboxing-yoga fusion DVD (hopefully better than cardio pilates?).
Gaiam should have a frequent buyer discount. ;o)
I know for me and I still have 11 pounds to loose but it was walking and getting my eating portions back under control but i will tell you that once they start walking you are moving around a lot more because they are no longer happy staying in one spot and your always looking for where they are...but keep in mind and levi tells me all the time it took 9 months to get all that wait and it can take up to 2 years because loosing is a lot harder than gaining and our bodys change and it takes a while for everything to go back if it does go back...i know for some of my friends it helped to go to the gym and get a trainer...doing cardio with weight traing....I don't know if this helped out at all but don't beet yourself up with it...find what woks for you and your life and go with it....remember Anna is only 3 months old..I know I was still recovering and learning to deal with just Hannah and i and weight lose was the last thing on my mind...keep up the the nursing to I know that helps.
Oh boy, that was really long. I forgot to say, Wii Fit really is a fun way to add exercise and yell at the TV. Since this is kind of an "off season" for me, I'll do a few minutes of yoga warmups, 10 minutes of hula hoop or boxing, a few minutes of strength exercises (push-up challenge I hate you), 10 minutes of hula hoop, boxing, or running, a few minutes of games or more strength or more yoga, then 10 minutes of whatever other aerobic thing I haven't really done. It's fun to mix it up, try to beat high scores, yell at the TV, and get told how overweight you are at the same time ;o)
Eric will love this Wii conversation, considering that it might just mean we'd have to actually go get the system. I've had good luck at losing thus far by doing a lot of hiking to hunt, etc. This sounds weird but having Eric or a friend or family member take the baby for a little while and hitting the hills has helped mentally too with the quiet time (minus huffing and puffing noises). Considering how often you and I liked being outside growing up - I'm sure fresh air will do lots of good.
Sam is 6 months old today and I just started finding some time to exercise daily. Breastfeeding a fat baby has been the best form of weight loss for me, but I've sort of stalled out with 5lbs left, so I'm exercising. A lot of daycare providers told me girls don't eat as much as boys (an old wives' tale?) so it's harder for girl moms who nurse to burn off the fat like boy moms...who knows? Good for you for exercising, especially when Anna's little. I have a mom/baby yoga DVD but rarely use it b/c Sam's so heavy that I can do, like, 2 reps with that fat kid. But, he loves it.
Post a Comment