Saturday, August 16

Not tongue-tied any more!

We had Anna's first doctor's appointment today to check on her progress and make sure everything is looking good. We were very relieved to get a clean bill of health, especially since the reason for our prolonged hospital stay was due to the fact that we could not get Anna to nurse after she was born. It took 3 days and many many many hours of trying/frustration/confusion, as well as hours of time with KMC's amazing lactation staff, to finally figure out that Anna was "tongue-tied". Basically, this means that the little flap of skin that holds her tongue to the bottom of her mouth (called a frenulum) was too large and keeping her from extending her tongue past her gums...which means she couldn't suck, and therefore couldn't nurse. A major problem for a newborn and extremely nerve racking for Mom and Dad!

Thankfully, we finally identified the problem and had the frenulum clipped (very simple and almost painless to do) and she immediately showed improvement in nursing. That, combined with a nipple shield and a few other tricks the
lactation consultant gave us to make nursing easier means that she was finally able to start eating and stop losing weight. Our appointment today confirmed this--as of today she is holding at pretty much the same weight she was when we checked out (7 lbs, 13 oz) which is a huge relief for us.

Eating well (extremely well, my milk has come in in what feels like epic proportions...the milk bar is officially open) has also meant that our little angel's mood has improved considerably. She can now rest peacefully after eating and we also get the treat of her being more alert and awake and, in our opinion, more charming than ever. After a very trying 3 days we are now reaping the rewards of all our efforts (and hers!) and loving every minute.

This is also a bonus for you readers because it means I'm sleeping more and have time/energy to post a few more pictures. ;o) Enjoy!






*Anna and Pooh in her crib*



*Proud Gramma and Grandpa Wells*

7 comments:

Anne said...

Those are great pictures - Anna looks very post-nursing satisfied in the one of her next to the bear. And the new grandparents look like they are having the times of their lives! I don't think I've ever seen Gary with a grin that massive before ;)

Shannon said...

I'm so glad that everything is going better with nursing...that is one think that I had wished would of worked out for Hannah...maybe with the next one....are you able to nurse without the sheld yet? I can't wait to see you all in about a week....I'm so happy that you are all doing well, your home and everyone looks so healthy...she is so beautiful...I can't wait to hold her.....Many blessing to you three and to Gary and Edy on their first human grandbaby....don't worry Penny and Dakota we still love you both and Belle will tell you there is still plenty of love to go around.....love

Jen said...

Glad to hear everything is going better!

colby said...

World's most awesome baby.

Anonymous said...

Way to push through those initial nursing difficulties! I never thought I'd be all crazy about breastfeeding, but it was a really wonderful experience with my daughter and I love when people don't give up easily.

Congrats Miss Mama!

Anonymous said...

She really is very pretty. Kinda looks like her mom. Glad to hear all is going well.

Amy said...

She is so beautiful! Glad to hear breastfeeding is going better...the early days are definitely the toughest.