Wednesday, October 29

Adventures in Bottleland, Part 2

I mentioned earlier that we had switched to Playtex Ventaire bottles after having no luck with the "Natural Nurser" (now affectionately known as the blow-up boob). Anna had been eating successfully with this bottle a few times a week for a few weeks now, so when it time came for me to go back to work this week I wasn't worried--until she suddenly stopped taking any kind of bottle from anyone and flat out demanded the real meal deal. It's like she knew what was coming. We have been trying every day this week with no luck--when offered a bottle she'd simply cry or fuss or sleep in protest and wake up screaming.

Finally, today was my first day back in the office, meaning that she was on her own with Grandma and Grandpa and...dum dum dum dum...the bottle. I spent most of the morning worrying about my surely starving baby at home (in between a day jam-packed with meetings), until I finally got the call that she had eaten 3 oz! Apparently she settled right in, because the next was 3.5 oz...then 4...then 4.5! Good thing I have a high powered pump. ;o)

What was the trick? Mostly just keeping the milk warm enough--she likes it almost hot and refuses to eat it if it cools down too much. The other part was her just getting hungry enough and realizing she didn't have any other options. ;o)

Meanwhile, there was no trick for me, getting through my first work day without my baby. This was the longest I've ever been away from her (since she's existed) and it was tough. All I wanted to do when I got home was hold her...I gave her a bath and we snuggled in, her to nurse (which she did with abandon) and me to soak up that clean baby smell and play with her fuzzy hair.

6 comments:

colby said...

It's good to have you back. I won't say it comes at a fair price, but maybe Anna can share for a few hours a day. ;o)

Leah said...

I'm dreading going back to work too. Glad to hear you made it through the first day... it gives me hope that it won't be as bad as I'm imagining!

How great that you get to work from home for a few days too!

Anne said...

Hey you! I think the babies sense that their mommies are trying to split themselves between work and home. Yesterday, Gwennie slept 2 hrs total (which was good in the way of sleeping last night - 3hrs per go all night! :) ) But she nursed or cried so often that phone calls had to be minimum. I have GOT to get Board mailing out total and she has been an angel so far (not that she isn't always).....hope we're both lucky today. :)

Jen said...

Congratulations on your first day. It won't always be so hard, but I still miss Sam after being back at work for 2 months.

colby said...

On the bright side, it's nice to have so much to come home to at the end of a hard day. I'm not sure there isn't much a baby's smile can't melt away ;o)

Rebekah said...

I'm so glad she is taking the bottle now, now you have a bit more freedom. You can get a sitter and Anna won't starve. Good luck with returning to work, it does get easier!