Sunday, October 12

Adventures in Bottleland

We have been slowly introducing a bottle for Anna since I will be headed back to work in a few weeks. We had been trying to use a Natural Nurser, thinking that it would interfere the least with breastfeeding, but Anna was less than impressed. She mostly spent the time pushing the bottle out of her mouth and intermittently giving Dad a coy smile or a pouty lip...as if to say "this is a fun game Dad, but really, where's the food?".

Finally, we gave up and switched to the good ol' Playtex Ventaire with the standard slow flow nipple...and it worked like a charm! She even latched on well to the bottle and sucked down 3.5 oz in the right amount of time. Now to try and figure out how much she's actually eating at each feeding, but we're guessing right around 3-4 oz. Even better, it doesn't seem to have interfered with her nursing latch (so far anyway).

Not sure what we're going to do with our other boob-shaped bottle (Halloween is coming up, I'm sure we'll think of something), but now at least I can go back to work without worrying about the kiddo starving to death.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I like the Playtex ventaire too, although Joe swears by the Avent bottle. To each his own...Sam never takes a bottle from me anyway unless we're in the car.

Team Eddy said...

I tell Jen this all the time...I'm a huge Avent fan, too. Once in a sleep-deprived state, all my precious breast milk leaked out the bottom of the Ventaire bottle. Now it's at the bottom of my list, but I guess Anna really gets the choice. :) When is the big day to go back to work?

Anonymous said...

Ohhh...sad... I dont want you to go back to work! Less time to write on here so i can stalk the happenings of your little one. If you can't hear it all the way over there in Idaho, my clock is not simply ticking anymore... Its more of a deafning sound. Apparently Dan is unable to hear it. Silly boy.
Congrats to Anna and the new bottle!

Shannon said...

Hannah like the Dr. Browns the best but it also helped with her gas and throw up problems but she will also take the ventaire and the gerber ones that you get 3 for 3 dollars or so....the fun part is when its time to transition to a sippy cup that is a lot of fun...for me I buy a couple of different kinds and some work better than others...to each their own....Funny how kids are...love

colby said...

Just saw this tshirt... topical ;o)

http://www.onehorseshy.com/cool/babies_suck/