Monday, July 21

Dumb Calendar Anyway

Sometime around the beginning of the second trimester, Tim bought a "Miracle of Me" calendar that tells us what "Me" (aka "the little monster") is up to each day...how big she is, major stages of development, etc. It has been a fun way to keep in touch with the baby, mostly. Some day's entries are better than others. Saturday's calendar read something like "Great job, Mom!! You're now considered "full term", which is two weeks before to two weeks after your due date." After reading that entry, the conversation in our house went something like this:

Mandy: (looks down at belly) Did you hear that? Now get out!
Tim: (recovering from shock) Well, I guess we know what will happen when she turns 18.

I love the little monster, but after 38 weeks I'd dearly love to strangle the author of that calendar for even considering "two weeks after" the due date.

We did have our weekly check-up this morning and it appears that I am 70% effaced, no dilation yet, but she has dropped and has her head right up against the cervix. Once it is 100% effaced (i.e. the cervix has completely softened and thinned), it will start to dilate, or open. Meanwhile, she's hanging out there, knocking on the door and asking "are we there yet? are we there yet?" and so is Mom.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Those last days are the hardest to wait; every mom reading your blog can sympathize with you. :)

Anonymous said...

She'll be here before you know it! Then you'll have an empty belly (mine felt like jello/marshmellow salad for a few days :) )but you'll be able to hold her!! What a cool calander minus that saturday entry. I can't wait to see pix of her. I miss you guys!

Anne said...

It's looking promising that she's hanging out around the exit! I can't imagine how long it feels to you though - hopefully things hurry along. I know that I am keeping my cell phone on at all times and fully charged for a certain call.....

Jen said...

Here's some encouraging info (I hope): 3 days before I had Sam I was 0% effaced and 1cm dilated. And, the day of, when I first got to the hospital 75% effaced and 3cm dilated. So, at 70% effaced, something's got to happen soon, right?

mandy said...

Thanks, Jen. :o) I'm choosing to believe that there's some kind of system to this and hope like hell that we're making progress! I've been telling her every night that she's not allowed to stay in there until she starts Kindergarten. :P

Danielle! Good to hear from you, glad you found your way to our blog. We miss you too.

Anonymous said...

I don't think beka appreciated any of my jokes after the 34th week (if she ever appreciated them). Granted, "How's my designated driver doing today?" isn't that funny. Good to see you guys are keeping your spirits up.

Love luck and lollipops,
-Scott