Sunday, October 23

Gracias, Dora

Potty training with Anna has been, shall we say, a "challenge."  She knows perfectly well how to do it, in fact we started trying it about 6 months ago and thought we were making progress.  Then one day my strong willed child (her teacher's words...I just call her "stubborn") just up and decided it was more work than it was worth and went back to diapers.  I have been buying the ginormous boxes of pull-ups at Costco ever since and living in hope.  My hopes rose slightly when she started preschool this year--surely, I thought, the peer pressure would make her give in.  But alas, no.

Then a couple of weeks ago we had our first progress meeting with her teacher.  Doing great developmentally, do we have any goals?  Yes, I answer!  Potty training!!  The teacher gave me a funny look and asked "Does she not go on the potty at home?"  Becoming suspicious, I said "Er, no.  Does she go here?" (I should add, they have the cutest little potty in her classroom--looks just like a regular fully-piped toilet that got put in the shrinker machine).  Her teacher assured me that she almost ALWAYS goes in the potty at school--in fact, she's 80% there. "Very interesting," I say, as I begin plotting my revenge.

Then midterms hit and I didn't have time to execute any of my devious plans, but this week, I set to work.  Now that I knew she could and would do it, the will power of the mother of the strong willed child kicked in.  I tried a few different things at first--rewards (gummy bears for going in the potty, promising treats at the end of the day if the diaper was dry, etc), guilt ("but Mommy doesn't like to change diapers, it makes me sad"--I know, I know)...and then it hit me.  Inspiration!

Anna: "Where did Dora go?" (We used to get her Dora pull-ups, thinking they'd be an incentive, but as the months wore on I gave up and switched to the cheaper Costco princess ones instead.  Something about pooping on a princess always makes me smile anyway.)

Me: "Dora went away.  She got tired of you pooping on her, so she went to your big girl panties."

Anna: "Is she coming back?"

Me: "Not until you promise not to pee or poop on her.  It makes her sad.  And mad.  But she said she'd come back if you go in the potty.  Want to try it?"

Shameless, I know.  But seriously folks, I will take anything I can get at this point.  And how did it go, you might ask?  She wore her Dora panties yesterday and today...yesterday, she did great with the pee, but there were two pairs of poopy panties (insert more "you make Dora sad" conversations here).  Today...NO ACCIDENTS!  Now given, she opted to just not poop instead of poop on Dora...a little bit of a backfire there, hence why I just ordered "Everyone Poops." But, today is officially her first day of going a whole day without any accidents.  There might just be hope yet...we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Muchos gracias, Dora.  I owe you one.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Whatever it takes, my friend. No shame at all. I promised to buy Sam a bike (and later, in a moment of weakness, a tractor--a real one!) if he'd just stop pooping his pants.

Rebekah said...

Congrats on an accident-free day! Lily was the same (knew how to use the potty just refusing to do so) and the only thing that worked was putting her in regular panties, covering the couch in waterproof pads, and making her sit in it whenever she went in her panties. Eventually she got sick of being cold and soggy and used the potty. Good luck!

Amy said...

Ugh, potty training! :( Honestly, I'd buy diapers forever, but the thought of changing 3 sets again makes me want to cry.

Gerald said...

With us it was rewards with sophia and the promise spiderman underware with harry. but yeah don't go down the not pooping road if you can avoid it.

and hey "don't poop on dora" sounds pretty safe right? :-)