As for coming back through security with my pumped breastmilk, I didn't have a problem, and took advantage of the fact that I already had a cooler with me to bring back some of the delicious cheeses that we found at the Whole Foods while we were down there. This led to some interesting conversations with the airport security guy, who was either well trained or recovering from a hangover:
Me: "I am carrying breastmilk."
Dude: "OK."
Me: "And there's cheese in there, too."
Dude: "OK."
Me: "But not breast cheese." (Trying to get some reaction)
Dude: "OK." (No luck)
And so on...
The "Dude" did end up checking a random sampling of the milk to make sure that it wasn't C-4 in disguise...he had a little piece of paper that resembled litmus paper, that at first I thought he was going to dip into the milk (more questions..."Is that sterile? You're not putting that in there if it's not sterile..." Dude nods). Turns out, he just held the piece of paper over the top and then put a drop of magic evil detector fluid on it...it must not have turned the wrong color because he then let me and my milk and cheese through. Yay.
I was very glad to get home and see my baby girl, who basically sat there cooing with her arms permanently stretched out while I tried to get my icky airport clothes off (you just never know what kind of mung you're carrying on your clothing after riding in an airplane) and get changed so I could hold her (and Tim, too). So good to be home, but it was nice to know we all survived, and a good sign for the next trip coming up in May.
I do have to share this picture, which I kept with me while I travelled...it's Tim and Anna on Easter, one of my favorite pictures of the two of them. What more could a travelling Mom ask for?


3 comments:
Glad to hear you survived. When I went through security, loudly proclaiming I had breastmilk in my cooler, all the airport guys just waved me on through...until my pump went through security. Then, one of the women TSA people had to tell the male screener it was not a bomb.
A Whole Foods. That's what you could ask for. ;o) (Or maybe just for the local stores to be as good as a Whole Foods. Those truffles and habanero cheese and chocolate pieces and fresh fruit and and and... were all evil.)
No, you do NOT want a Whole Paycheck - er, Whole Foods - in CdA. There is one about a mile from us in Beaverton, and it's waaaaay too tempting to shop there instead of Albertsons or Safeway.
What you DO need is a Trader Joes :)
Post a Comment