Tuesday, September 21

Adventures in Millerland, Part 2 (finally)

...and the saga continues...though unfortunately it's already long over, but I couldn't leave you hanging. ;o) (More on why I'm not a very good blogger lately in another post).

You might think that because Jordan is so remote, there's nothing to do...that you may be in danger of getting bored. You'd be wrong. In lieu of shopping, there's...pumpkination. In lieu of TV...there's the local thunderstorms (which are, to say the least, fantastic--when you can see for miles you can see the WHOLE storm, all at once...quite literally awesome). And in lieu of, well, just about anything else, there's fighting the fires associated with aforementioned thunder and (did I mention?) lightening storms.

As the storms started to roll in on Saturday while Anne and I were busy preparing food, goodies, and ourselves for the Silpada party later that afternoon, Eric began scanning the horizon and looking for tell-tale signs of fire. With grass and farm lands all around you, which also represent the livelihood of much of the population of Jordan (not to mention the rapidity with which fire can spread with nothing to break it and a strong wind), fire is a great big deal. Never the less, we persevered and went ahead with the party...but the storms had a different plan.

No sooner did our little gaggle of girls get going on a some serious "ooohing" and "aaahing", did Anne get a call from Eric (who, along with most of the men in Jordan, is a member of the volunteer fire department), saying that sure enough, we had fire! (It should also be noted here that there is a touch of pyromania that seems to run through these men as well...I suspect a healthy respect of what fire can do, along with fascination, along with...well, nothing more exciting to do on a Saturday afternoon ;o). Child care was quickly arranged--Gwen and Ari went to a friend's home and Anna suddenly found herself rousted from a nap and deposited in the middle of a Silpada party. Not that she was complaining; we had lots of sugary food and shiny objects for her to play with.



The party was a blast though, and I particularly enjoyed meeting Anne's friends and neighbors again (most of whom I had met once before at her wedding, but we all forgave each other for not remembering one face out of what felt like a thousand :). Like Anne, the women who live, work and raise a family in this area are unique; such a rugged and remote area breeds steel into a person, but despite this their warmth and sense of community and optimism is absolutely astounding. In so many ways, Jordan is a model of a community that I wish we could all follow (perhaps minus the lightening, fire, and microbursts that threatened to blow the roof off of the building we had the party in, and DID manage to decimate a steer barn at the fairgrounds that won't be missed). At the end of the day, we packed up sticks and headed back home to warm pumpkin soup in the crockpot, from--you guessed it--our earlier pumpkin sacrifice.


On Sunday, we spent the morning getting ready for the long trek back across the very, very, very (VERY) wide state of Montana, but managed to sneak in a little fun in the water for the girls as well (you'll notice from their hair that it was still pretty windy). Then Anna and I sadly said goodbye and headed on our way.



It should be noted here that the first two legs of our trip actually went pretty well--we broke in Lewistown and Great Falls, and up to that point, I was almost ready to forgive Montana for all the bad weather we had coming over. Almost. Then it started again. Montana suddenly remembered that I was a "durn furenner" and needed to be run out of the state. The skies opened up, and I ended up so frustrated (Anna as well, who was asking repeatedly for her Daddy and Puppies), that though I had intended to spend the night in Great Falls and break up the trip, I just couldn't face more bad weather, more lugging of all of the associated paraphernalia that comes with a toddler, and another bad night's sleep in a hotel bed. So, I cancelled my hotel reservation, shook my fist at the sky, literally yelling "SCREW YOU TOO, MONTANA!" (not my most eloquent moment, and I'm sure I would have made any passersby concerned if there had been anyone else crazy enough to be standing outside in all that rain) and made a "bolt for the barn" (as Anne put it), leaving Great Falls behind me. Anne told me later that it flooded in Great Falls that night, by which I am not the least surprised and will take full responsibility for.

Thankfully, shortly after Great Falls Anna fell asleep. The rain let up and I was treated to an AMAZING sunset (truly, one of the most beautiful I have ever experienced), complete with not one, but two rainbows. Montana and I kissed and made up, but with a sleeping toddler I figured this was still my best chance to make it out alive and sane and I kept driving...and driving...and driving...and didn't stop until I pulled into our driveway around midnight, some 12 hours after we'd pulled out that morning. My own bed never felt so good.




Thanks again to the Miller family for having us over to visit! Besides getting to see my best-friend-since-kindergarten THREE whole times in one year (a huge treat, we're going to get spoiled), every visit to Jordan is memorable and we had a great time. Anne & Fam: tag, you're it! Your turn to come visit, though I can't promise anywhere near as much entertainment. :o)


0 comments: